Being a part of a community garden program provides great opportunities to grow healthy foods, meet new people and enjoy our community through the growing season. The City of Melville is proud to provide the opportunity for our community to come together through the community garden program.
Like all activities, there is an expectation that participants will do their part to ensure that the community garden program will be successful and enjoyable for all participants. The following checklist of rules guides users through the appropriate activities for participating in this program.
Please respect the surrounding buildings and residents by following these program expectations:
- You are responsible for maintaining your garden plot. This includes weed and litter removal
- Only annual plants are permitted in your garden plot
- Individual garden plot boundaries will be marked by number; markers should not be removed.
- The City of Melville will provide a watering source at the site of the garden plots
- Please do not water, weed or prune other gardens
- If vandalism or theft occurs, notify the Recreation department at 306-728-6860
- If you are not able to tend your plot, notify the Recreation department. Neglected plots will be either reassigned or tilled.
- If you will be away during the growing season, ensure that someone will tend your plot.
- At the end of the gardening season all plant materials should be pulled from the ground and left on the surface of the soil
- Plots are assigned according to the waiting list maintained by the Recreation & Programming Manager.
- Failure to comply with the above rules may result in the loss of gardening privileges.
We have 6 raised gardens available this year and it is based on a first come first serve basis. Please submit your application to email@example.com or drop it off at the Horizon Credit Union Centre, 575 2nd Ave West.
If you have any questions, please contact the City of Melville, Recreation Department at 306-728-6860 or firstname.lastname@example.org