A city rich in tradition...
Two years later in 1908 that last spike of the railway was driven and Melville celebrated its birth. The community was named after the president of the railway, Charles Melville Hayes. It was the second divisional point on the railway, West of Winnipeg.
In 1907, J.W. Redgwick brought a load of lumber from Killaly and built The Pioneer Store. There was thirty blocks surveyed and staked out, including a lumber yard and hardware store. The lots were selling from $60.00 to $400.00. The town grew rapidly in the early years, growing from 66 people to 625 people and then over 1,000 people in 1909 with town status.
The first Council meeting was held January 4, 1909 in the town's newspaper office - The Melville Canadian. The old Queen Street Arena was also built that year, although it burned partially in 1949 and totally in 1962. A new arena was built at the present location of the Melville Stadium, but it burned down two years after construction.
The second ice surface, the Merv Moore Sportsplex, was constructed just prior to the 1990 Saskatchewan Winter Games. The years between 1910 and 1914 were important to the community with the construction of the community's first power plant, hospital, the Melville Milling Company, Coal Docks, and Luther College. The Melville Millionaire Hockey Club has been in the history books since 1915, when Goldie Smith brought the coveted Allen Cup to Melville and dubbed the team "Millionaires."
Melville officially became a city on August 1, 1960 and has grown to offer a variety of services, including the home of the provincial government's Saskatchewan Crop Insurance as well as such industrial leaders as Babcock and Wilcox. Melville boasts a very successful minor ball and minor hockey programs, as well as figure skating, speed skating, batting cages, a swimming pool, two museums, and several parks.
St. Peter's Hospital and St. Paul Lutheran Home provide the citizens of Melville with up to date acute and long term care. There are five elementary schools - Davison, Miller, St. Henry's Senior School, St. Henry's Junior School and the Melville Comprehensive School, also known as MCS. Post-secondary students have the benefit of the Parkland Regional College, which is attached to MCS making it convenient for students to attend College while living at home.